Do you ever feel like your loosing your mind? I hope so, or I might just be going crazy! Anyways, we’ve got a fun new announ for you Blue Minerals lovers out there coming out later this week. In the meantime I have a fun little project/ tutorial for you. (By the way, I know I’ve been promising this forever, but I am almost done with our toning tutorial, so this month is going to be a huge month of furniture restoration tutorials!).
I got so caught up in everything else, that I ended up not being able to finish all the Haleen projects I had plans. (I hope your Haleen was super fun and spooky by the way!). I did end up finishing a project, but not having time to write about it, so I’m going to write about it now. It’s really not a Haleen project, but it could be (and that’s good enough for me). I did get a few projects done like my Halloween Village and the Harry Potter Poison Bottles. But it’s this cute little Cinderella Pumpkin Carriage that I am totally head over heels for!
Did I mention I’m in love?! It’s so pretty, I will probably leave it up until Christmas…. it’s Christmas-y right? Anyways, this was ridiculously easy to do. All you need is:
- Plastic Pumpkin
- Metal Wire (2 gauges, I used 10 gauge for the wheels, and just beading wire for the vines)
- White Paint (I used Benin Moore’s “Mayonnaise” Latex paint mixed with Blue Minerals)
- White Glitter
- Gold Ribbon (optional)
- Pearl Beads ( I bought a huge container of them from Walmart for $5)
- Bead Caps
- 2 Small pieces of scrap cardboard
- Gold Spray Paint
First I started by shaping the #10 gauge wire into wheels. (I messed up on one, which is why you see they are wound together, I used those wheels in the back so you couldn’t see that mistake.) I shaped them around the pumpkin, but I originally made the two wheels equal in size, then I realized it would look better with the front wheels smaller and re-did it.
This was the most time-consuming part, but it was pretty easy to mold into the shapes I wanted, but I wanted the number of spirals to be even for each wheel so they looked consistent. Then I used the small piece of cardboard to prop them up. I cut a small hole in the cardboard so it had something to sit into, and used wood glue to attach. I probably should have used another type of glue, but hey, it worked.
They took forever to dry. So while it was drying I painted my pumpkin. I used Blue Minerals so that I could be sure it would stick to the plastic pumpkin, and I applied 2 coats. Once the paint had dried, I used Mod Podge to apply white glitter around the whole pumpkin.
Once the glue had dried, I got to work on attaching my fers and vines. I tightly wrapped the smaller metal around the wheels, then I put a small amount of hot glue on the end of the tulip looking bead caps and strung it through the metal wire. The glue aled me to position the caps part way up the vine and have them stay there. Then I used the glue to attach the floral bead caps by just placing a small amount on the back of the cap and pressing it to the wire.
Then I sprayed the wheels with gold spray paint. I found like a soft gold color that I love because it’s not too brassy. The spray paint gave it consistency and made it look like one piece. Then I used more hot glue to attach the pearl beads to the insides of the bead caps to create the centers of the fers. I used green, white and pink beads to bring a small amount of color to the piece.
Then I attached the pumpkin to the wheels with more hot glue.
Even with all the mistakes I made, I am really excited and happy about the way it turned out. This really was pretty easy. And I think the beads make it just look so elegant.
[Link Party Snippet]